Hudson City Hospital was incorporated in 1889, opening with six beds, a fracture table and ten physicians on staff. The hospital was treating approximately 75 patients a year by 1896
The hospital moved to its present site between Prospect and Columbia Streets and had a capacity of 108 beds. A School of Nursing was also established to supply nurses for the growing hospital.
Between 1920 and 1950, additional space was annexed to the hospital, accommodating the School of Nursing dormitory and an additional 45 beds for a total capacity of 153 beds. The name was changed to Columbia Memorial Hospital in 1949 to reflect services to the entire Columbia County area.
The hospital expanded to 186 beds by the early 1970s with approximately 7,000 discharges per year and 700 births. A $5.5 million dollar project was undertaken to eliminate the need for the original 1900 building. Operating rooms and patient rooms were renovated to accommodate piped in oxygen, suction and compressed air.
By 1980, admissions had dropped to 6,000 per year and patient days had decreased because of a shortened length of stay.
In the late 1980s, facilitated by the State Department of Health, Columbia Memorial Hospital and Greene County Community Hospital merged into a single institution called Columbia-Greene Medical Center. They decided to move the merged entity onto one site and close the facility in Greene County. Operations were phased onto the Hudson campus.
The mid-1990s brought significant change, including a new administration and name change. The Board of Trustees voted to change the name of the hospital back to Columbia Memorial Hospital to emphasize its role as a community hospital, and the personalized care not prevalent in large medical centers.
A major investment in technically advanced equipment was made, resulting in a completely updated radiology department including a state-of-the-art CT scanner, a SPECT unit in nuclear medicine, new mammography equipment and new diagnostic and fluoroscopy equipment.
A Master Facility Plan was prepared by Donald Blair, a hospital architecture specialist, and a $10 million project was undertaken. CMH reached out to the community and participated with other organizations to bring more people into contact with the hospital. A Community Health Service Department was created to improve access to services and eliminate duplication throughout the two counties.
Hudson Family Care Center opens to provide primary care services to the local Hudson population. The Family Birth Place is established as the newest and most contemporary regional birthing center on the second floor of the hospital.
Broadway Family Care Center opens in Red Hook.
Cavell Cancer Project begins. Palatine Family Care Center in Germantown and Cairo Family Care Centers open.
1999 – 2001
The Kellner Wing opens, housing state-of-the-art Emergency Department and Surgical Services Department. Transfusion Free Medicine and Surgery Program (one of only 130 in the nation) opens.
Columbia Memorial Hospital receives the VISTA Award for The Family Birth Place by the American Society of Healthcare Engineers.
More than 4,000 surgical cases were performed and 500 babies were delivered. There were 45,400 outpatient visits and 63,650 Family Care Center visits. CMH continues to invest annually in facilities and equipment including a $1.3 million state-of-the-art angiography suite, declared by interventional radiologists to be the best facility in the region.
The Center for Minimally Invasive Surgery and a Pain Management Program is inaugurated and Ghent Family Care Center opens.
Columbia Memorial becomes the first area hospital to provide laparoscopic banding surgery for obese patients.
2003 – 2006
CMH continues to consolidate local hospital-based practices into one efficient unit, establishing convenient outpatient services on campus. The result is the Medical Office Building with a parking garage to facilitate patient access and convenience, and increase physician convenience.
Renovations to the Memorial Wing (1970s) on the fourth floor are completed, and a Hospice Unit created courtesy of the T. Backer Fund. Donations fund the construction of a Child Advocacy Center to provide space for child friendly rooms designed to alleviate trauma, and expedite the healing process assisting child victims of abuse.
Columbia Memorial becomes one of the first to offer state-of-the-art digital mammography technology and introduces a Picture Archiving Communication System (PACS) for archiving medical images.
Inpatient and outpatient volumes increase, demonstrating the increasing support of the Columbia-Greene Community. Having these services on campus in our new Medical Office Building makes accessing medical care convenient for patients. Having leaders in their respective medical fields on staff at Columbia Memorial Hospital provides a firm foundation for delivering high-quality healthcare.
Using $1 million dollars of federal grant money, renovation of the Intensive Care Unit begins. The new ICU will provide more space for each patient in order to accommodate cutting edge technology at each bedside.
Our $3 million Intensive Care Unit (ICU) expansion and renovation is completed.
A grant of $1 million from the State of New York helps connect physician offices and area nursing homes to the hospital electronically, enabling the professional staff to instantly communicate critical patient information between the hospital and the other facilities as needed.
CMH submits an application to become a Designated Stroke Center, already having implemented new stroke protocols.
The Bone & Joint Center becomes part of our hospital’s network of primary care and specialty practices to expand orthopaedic services and recruit more experts in our area.
CMH initiates its Mobile Dental Van, which travels to area schools, in both Columbia and Greene counties, to improve the dental health of children in our area.
2009 – 2010
The Women’s Health Center introduces minimally invasive, total laparoscopic hysterectomies for shorter hospital stays, minimal pain and discomfort, and quicker recoveries.
The Prompt Care area achieves a 90-minute average turnaround time from arrival to discharge.
Generous donations and grants help CMH expand our growing healthcare network, including $20,000 to address obesity in children and adults, $150,000 to retain physicians in New York state, $190,000 for an automated medication administration system, and $265,416 to provide direct personal services to victims of crimes.
2012 – 2013
The Rapid Care Center opens in Valatie, staffed by board-certified and emergency-trained physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners and physician assistants and is open 7 days a week.
Kinderhook Medical Care and Valatie Family Care, affiliates of CMH, move to a new facility at the Ocean State Job Lots Plaza on Route 9 in Valatie.
CMH announces the purchase of the Greene Medical Arts Center (GMA) building in Catskill, with over 110,000 square feet of space situated on six acres.
Neurosurgery & Spine Opens at CMH.
CMH receives the “Get With The Guidelines” Stroke Gold-Plus Quality Achievement Award for implementing specific quality improvement measures outlined by the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association for the treatment of stroke patients.
Dr. Christopher Gorczynski, Dr. Nikolay Samedov and Dr. Samira Khera are featured as Top Doctors in Hudson Valley Magazine’s newly released annual round-up of outstanding local physicians.
New healthcare network named Columbia Memorial Health launched in 2015. Framed by the Greene Medical Arts campus in Catskill and the Hospital campus in Hudson, CMH is home to more than 40 primary and specialty care centers in Columbia, Greene and Dutchess counties. CMH Rapid Care- Valatie and CMH’s Emergency Department create Autism Friendly rooms for patients.
CMH and Albany Medical Center finalized of an affiliation agreement in that is yielding numerous benefits for patients and staff. Greene Medical Arts Building in Catskill underwent a $4.2 Million Dollar renovation to bring more advanced healthcare services to Greene County. CMH Rapid Care Copake officially open and bring urgent medical care to community.
CMH’s Orthopaedic team introduces Mako robotic surgeries for joint replacement- first in the Hudson Valley to offer this cutting edge technology. The Olana Partnership, Thomas Cole National Historic Site and the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation collaborated to bring the paintings of Thomas Cole and Frederick Church to be hung on the 6th floor of the hospital. Remote Patient Monitoring is established to let patients with certain conditions be monitored from home with the help from a clinical case manager, an iPhone and bluetooth-biometric devices. CMH and Albany Med fully integrate cardiology services to offer seamlessly coordinated care between the health systems. 18 new high-tech hospital beds were purchased for inpatient rooms.
CMH Emergency Department and Rapid Care Centers treated over 50,000 patients. Saratoga Hospital joins CMH in the affiliation with Albany Med. CMH introduces “Weekend Walk-In Care” for patients to utilizes for non-emergent needs.
CMH proudly bring innovative 3D Breast technology to our community with 3D mammo and biopsy machines. Glens Falls Hospital joins the affiliation with CMH, Albany Med, & Saratoga Hospital. Women’s Specialty Care Services opens.